Teeth well maintained and white are not only a reflection of a healthy mouth are also an excellent anti-aging remedy that rejuvenates and adds light to your face.
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular treatments, In very few sessions, this treatment allows us to show off a spectacular smile. In recent years, the technique of toothe whiteming is the dentist office has made significant progress. It is now safer and less aggressive. With better results and fewer sessions
These products are capable of releasing molecules which in turn are able to “leak” through the enamel of the teeth by the dental tubules to the inner tissue. Thus the dentin, that gives color to the teeth, undergoes an oxidation process which results in a bleaching of the dental tissues. There are mainly two bleaching agents:
- Carbamide peroxide: is typically used for outpatient treatment
- Hydrogen Peroxide: used in dental clinics.
Types of whitening
Teeth whitening can be internal or external.
- Internal teeth Whitening: Performed in clinic in non vital teeth (endodontic). The number of sessions depends on the color of the tooth and professional judgment.
- External Teeth Whitening: Is the most common and most widely demanded, It is carried on the outer face of the tooth.
- Whitening Dental clinic: Since the regulation 2011/84/EU came into force on October 31 light-activated teeth whitening is prohibited.
- Home Whitening: Bleaching product sold in pharmacies, drugstores, etc. New rules are similar to those of whitening toothpastes ( maximum concentration of 0.1% hydrogen peroxide or 0.3% carbamide peroxide) therefore making its effect practically nil.
Combined Teeth whitening: Combines whitening in dental clinic with home. Splints are made to measure for the patient to adapt perfectly to the shape of the teeth. The patient is given the splints and a bleach kit. Further information will be given at clinic as to the pattern and procedure that should be followed as well as monitor the developments.
- The success of bleaching depends on the habits and the color of the teeth of each patient.
- It is essential to have a teeth cleaning before treatment.
- In cases of severe stains such as with tetracycline, where the effect of the tooth whitening is not desired, you may opt for other techniques such as dental veneers.
Any questions you have will be resolved and further information and an instruction manual with guidelines will follow.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
How long does the whitening last?
The duration and the results of tooth whitening depend on several factors. First, it depends on the patient’s genetics, diet and habits. It also depends on the periodic reviews at the dental clinics. Thus, tooth whitening on some people may last for months and other years.
What can I eat during whitening?
A white diet ( dairy, rice, chicken, etc.) is recommended and patients must flee from food dyes such as coffee, tea ,wine, spices, etc. No need to worry, a full and detailed list will be given at time of treatment.
Does tooth whitening produce hyper sensitivity?
It depends on each patient and what they feel during treatment. Some hardly notice, but other patients have a greater effect. Those patients showing tooth sensitivity prior or during treatment will learn how to deal with it.